Saturday, December 15, 2007

Freddie King

I can't remember if I did a post on Freddie King or not, but if I have it would be worth revisiting anyway.

Freddie King is my favorite of the three Kings (including Albert and BB). Freddie got a MONSTER tone, and I have no idea how he did it (look at those meat paws!). His band flirted with a lot of funk and soul, and you can feel that interjected into his blues numbers too. On top of his energetic guitar playing, he's lays down some of my favorite vocal performances ever etched into vinyl. Freddie also has one of my favorite key players, Deacon Jones (played with Curtis Mayfield, John Lee Hooker, etc.) on that organ.

After listening to Freddie, it becomes pretty apparent where the likes of Hendrix and Clapton got some of their ideas.

Freddie King - Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone


Freddie King - Boogie Funk


Freddie King - Have You Ever Loved A Woman

No comments: